This slow cooker white chicken chili is a family recipe I grew up with, and it’s every bit as hearty and delicious as it is easy to make. It’s made with a few simple ingredients like white corn, shredded chicken, cream cheese, northern beans and the perfect spice combination. With only a couple of minutes of prep work and a crock pot, this hands off dinner is a great recipe for a chilly fall or winter night.
Blast From My Past
A few weeks ago on my Instagram I mentioned that my favorite non-Paleo or Whole30 recipe is the slow cooker white chicken chili that my family has made every fall and winter since I can remember. When I think of comforting, hearting, warm-you-up-from-the-inside-out recipe, I of course think of my Nana’s classic pot roast, but, I also think of this recipe. Like I said, this slow cooker white chicken chili recipe is 100% not Whole30, heck, it’s not even close to Paleo. This is just a recipe filled with dairy and corn and beans that sometimes is worth it for me.
It’s interesting though, eating it now versus when I had it prior to knowing what a dairy-free, bean-free life was like. Now I can feel how heavy this recipe is after I eat it, and how it my digestive system wasn’t thrilled with me, which is something I never remembered before. Don’t get me wrong here though, I still think it’s freakin’ delicious. I just find it interesting how experiencing a different dietary lifestyle has changed my experiences when I do decide to eat something like this now.
Not the Norm
I’m solely sharing this white chicken chili recipe out of the desire from my Instagram peeps. Most of the recipes here are a result in just that – your requests or needs! So, when I got an overwhelming interest in this recipe, I figured why not! It won’t be the usual around here though, so don’t worry about that.
What I appreciated about the requests for this recipe, though, is that it was a reminder to me that my people here (you!) are normal, and that for many of us, food freedom doesn’t mean 100% paleo eating. And for some of us it DOES mean 100% paleo eating – but either way, it just helped me see that being a normal person that has a family recipe she really likes and looks back fondly on is okay and not something to be worried about posting because it’s not “paleo”.
So thank you! One day I’ll get around to remaking a Whole30 and Paleo version of this white chicken chili. One day.
I Love You, Slow Cooker
This recipe is a prime example of why my slow cooker is the MVP in my kitchen. The only “prep” and “cooking” required is to just dump everything into the slow cooker and let it do the work for you. Aside from chopping an onion and opening some cans, there’s no hard labor here. Which is true for most slow cookers, and why mine is pretty much always on my counter! Even the chicken just gets tossed (gently) into the slow cooker whole and will shred with little effort by you 8 hours later.
This slow cooker white chicken chili is really easy to customize to your preferences too. I just use mild diced green chiles, but fire roasted or a spicier version is also an option. You could also use a different type of corn if you already have a few cans in your pantry, you could add some diced tomatoes, or throw cilantro in the chili if you wanted!
Other Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love (Paleo & Whole30):Print
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans northern beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can white corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can sweet corn cream style
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (can substitute black pepper)
- 8 oz plain cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, except heavy cream and cream cheese. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- 30-1 hour minutes prior to eating, shred the chicken with two forks in the slow cooker and stir in cream and cream cheese. Cream cheese might not be completely softened, but will combine into the chili with stirring.
- Serve and add any desired toppings such as shredded cheese, tortilla chips, cilantro, jalapeño, sour cream, avocado, additional salt and pepper, or whatever you prefer!
- You can substitute the can of sweet creamed corn for another can of white corn kernels
- Frozen chicken breasts work well too!
Keywords: slow cooker, slow cooker soup, white chicken chili