This easy Whole30 jalapeño buffalo chicken casserole is simple to make and full of flavor. It’s also full of vegetables, making this a healthy weeknight dinner or meal prep recipe. This is also a keto/low carb, paleo and gluten-free casserole, so everyone in the family will enjoy it! Casseroles are a great way to get dinner on the table, and this Whole30 buffalo chicken casserole is a perfect example!
Related: 30 Whole30 Casserole Recipes
Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Casserole Ingredients
The bulk of this jalapeño buffalo chicken casserole recipe is made up of vegetables. You’ll need frozen cauliflower rice (I use two 10-ounce bags), one red pepper, one onion, 2 small jalapeños, and shredded carrots. You’ll also need 2 pounds of cooked and shredded chicken breasts.
For the sauce, you’ll need buffalo sauce, ranch (Primal Kitchen’s Whole30 Approved Ranch, or homemade), canned coconut cream, minced garlic, salt and pepper. These are all widely available at major grocery stores, like Target, Walmart and Fresh Thyme, on Amazon, or from Thrive Market for a discount.
How to Make Jalapeño Buffalo Chicken Casserole
This casserole is really easy to prepare. In keeping it gluten-free and low carb, the majority of the ingredients are just the vegetables. You’ll first dice the onions, red bell pepper, and jalapeños, and add them to a casserole dish along with the frozen cauliflower rice and shredded carrots. Then add in the shredded chicken.
To make the sauce for the casserole, simply whisk together the buffalo sauce, ranch, the thick part of the canned coconut cream, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Once everything is incorporated, pour the sauce into the casserole dish and use two forks or tongs to mix the vegetables, chicken and sauce together. You want everything to evenly distributed and coated in the buffalo sauce mixture.
Flatten out the ingredients in the casserole dish so that it bakes evenly. Then place the casserole dish into the oven and bake on 400 degrees F. for 45 minutes. You can bake it for an additional 5-10 minutes if you’d like the top a bit more “crispy”.
Serving and Storing
Once the jalapeño buffalo chicken casserole comes out of the oven you can drizzle a bit of ranch dressing or additional buffalo sauce over the top, and then garnish it with sliced jalapeño and green onions if desired before dishing up into bowls.
To store, you can separate the casserole out into individual portions and store for meal prep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze the casserole, but it will thaw a bit more watery because of the cauliflower rice. To avoid that, reheat the casserole or individual servings in the oven, uncovered, instead of the microwave to let some of the excess moisture cook off.
Other Whole30 Casserole Recipes You’ll Love:Print
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 20 ounces frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 small jalapeños, finely diced, plus more for topping if desired
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded or finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup canned coconut cream (the thick part at the top of the can)
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup ranch
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: green onion, extra jalapeños to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add vegetables and shredded chicken to a large casserole dish
- In a small bowl, combine spices, minced garlic, coconut cream, buffalo sauce and ranch. Whisk with a fork to combine well
- Pour into the casserole dish and use two forks or tongs to combine the sauce into the vegetables and chicken. Once the sauce is incorporated with the ingredients, smooth the ingredients into an even layer in the dish
- Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes (or slightly longer if you want the top a bit more “crispy”)
- Remove from the oven and top with a drizzle of buffalo or ranch, and any optional garnish like green onion or more jalapeños
- If you don’t already have cooked/leftover chicken to use, you can make the process of making this casserole faster by placing your chicken breasts on a sheet pan and baking for 25 minutes on 400 degrees F., and prepping the rest of the casserole while they bake. Chop the veggies, make the sauce and combine everything so you can just shred and add the chicken right when it’s done baking.
- You can make your own homemade Whole30 ranch with this recipe
Keywords: Whole30 casserole, buffalo chicken casserole, jalapeno buffalo chicken, keto casserole, gluten-free chicken casserole
- Calories: 354
- Fat: 11.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 47.7 g
This Whole30 Jalapeño Buffalo Chicken casserole post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.