This buffalo chicken egg bake is an easy Whole30, Paleo and Keto breakfast that is quick to prepare, great as leftovers and even freezes well. It only requires a few simple ingredients which makes it a great meal prep recipe. This Whole30 breakfast casserole is also dairy-free, gluten-free and easy to sneak veggies into.
This keto, paleo and Whole30 breakfast casserole is so simple, and makes enough for the whole family, or enough for breakfast meal prep for the whole week! For buffalo chicken lovers, this egg bake can’t be beat. It’s also really easy to add in any extra veggies, such as white onion, diced zucchini, broccoli or more green or red peppers, so it’s a great clean out the fridge meal to use up what you already have on hand.
Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Egg Bake Ingredients
There are only a few simple and common ingredients in this buffalo chicken egg bake. You’ll need eggs, hot sauce, nut milk, the vegetables, chicken, olive oil, and a few spices such as salt, pepper and garlic powder. For the hot sauce, we always keep Frank’s Original on hand, and it works perfectly in this recipe. The nut milk can also be whatever dairy-free milk you prefer. Almond milk, coconut milk or macadamia nut milk work great.
The oil I love and prefer to use in this recipe, and my everyday cooking, is Primal Kitchen’s Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It comes in a large 17 fl oz. dark glass bottle, and it’s Certified Non-GMO and Certified Organic. This olive oil is also cold pressed, and NAOAA Certified for both quality and purity, which isn’t something you find in most oils. It’s just a really high quality source of healthy fat and the flavor from their unique blend of Spanish and Tunisian olives can’t be beat.
You can check out Primal Kitchen’s Organic Olive Oil (and their collection of other healthy fat sources!) on their website. Code “paleobailey” saves you 15% off at checkout! Or find them on Thrive Market.
How to Prepare the Buffalo Chicken Egg Bake Casserole
The first step in making this Whole30 buffalo chicken egg bake is to have cooked and shredded chicken. You can use something like rotisserie chicken, or leftover roasted chicken. If you’re starting off with raw chicken breasts, first you’ll need to bake them. Do this by using 2 chicken breasts, coating them with 1/2 tablespoon of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper. Bake on 350 for about 20 minutes. If you chicken breasts are thicker, you may need a bit more time.
Then you’ll shred them once they’re finished. While they’re baking, you can prep the egg mixture. To do this, you’ll add all of the eggs, liquid ingredients and the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Beat these ingredients together with a whisk or fork until the eggs are all combined with the hot sauce, dairy-free milk and spices.
Chop the chicken, green pepper and green onions and then add that into the egg mixture and stir to combine. Take a bit of the Organic Olive Oil and grease a casserole dish. Then you’ll pour the egg and chicken mixture into the dish and pop it into the oven. It will take about 50 minutes to bake, but you’ll want to pull it out of the oven once the casserole is set and the eggs are not runny on the top. This may take less time if you’re using a larger casserole dish, as the egg bake will be thinner in the dish than if you used a smaller dish.
Reheating and Freezing This Buffalo Chicken Egg Bake
This Whole30 breakfast recipe reheats really well. If you’re using it for meal prep, you’ll want to let it cool completely before refrigerating, and then reheat it by putting a slice of it into the microwave for 1 minute or the oven for about 5 (on 350 degrees). This egg bake also freezes really well, and makes for a great meal to have as back up. If you’re freezing in individual slices, cool completely first and then wrap each piece in tin foil or freezer-safe parchment paper. Store it in an airtight container or freezer bag. To defrost and reheat, place a frozen piece into the microwave for 3 minutes.
Other Whole30 Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love:Print
- 2 chicken breasts (or 1.5–2 cups cooked and shredded chicken)
- 1.5 tbsp Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 10 eggs
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (I use Frank’s Original)
- 1/2 cup nut milk (almond, coconut or macadamia nut milk)
- 1 green pepper, stem and seeds removed and chopped
- 3–4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- If your chicken is still raw, coat the chicken breasts with 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired and bake on a baking sheet for 20 minutes, or until cooked through (time may vary a bit depending on thickness of the chicken breasts).
- Once cooked, let cool and shred.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, hot sauce, nut milk, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Mix with a fork or whisk to combine until the eggs are beaten and everything is incorporated well.
- Next, add in the shredded chicken, chopped green pepper and chopped green onion and stir to combine.
- Use the remaining 1/2 tsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to grease a 2.5 quart casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture into the dish and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the eggs on top are firm and not runny.
- If you use a larger casserole dish, the cook time will be lessened as the egg bake won’t be as thick and will cook through quicker
Keywords: buffalo chicken egg bake, whole30 buffalo chicken egg bake, whole30 breakfast, keto egg bake, whole30 egg bake, paleo egg bake, low carb egg bake, low carb breakfast, paleo breakfast, chicken breakfast recipes
This Whole30 buffalo chicken egg bake casserole post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.