These Whole30 crispy cilantro lime chicken thighs are so delicious, and so easy to make. The skin gets perfectly crispy using this simple cooking method. They’re awesome for meal prepping, or for an easy weeknight dinner. Not only are these Whole30 chicken thighs, but they’re Paleo and low carb too!
The cilantro lime flavor of these Whole30 chicken thighs is my favorite thing about them, aside from how juicy they turn out! Chicken thighs are one of my favorite cuts of chicken because they can get crispy on the outside but still come out juicy and tender.
I think it’s also worth mentioning how totally simple these are to make. There’s no fancy here, only a handful of fresh ingredients that come together to make these Mexican-inspired chicken thighs full of flavor. All you’ll really need are bone-in and skin-on thighs, cilantro, limes and oil! Of course, some garlic never hurt anyone but that’s a pretty standard ingredient for most of us!
I prefer cooking these in a cast iron skillet, but any oven safe skillet will do. You will be transferring them to an oven for the final step, so you don’t want to use a skillet that can’t go into the oven. One less dish the better, ya know?!
Cilantro lime will forever be one of my favorite flavor combinations, and this dish is awesome served over cilantro cauliflower rice, or with some simple veggies. Last time I made these I used the leftovers to chop up and put into chicken taco salads! If you want to crisp the skin up again if you’re eating them as leftovers, you can place them skin side down on a skillet for about 3 minutes. Then flip them over, let the other side reheat and you’re good to go!
Other Mexican-inspired Whole30 recipes:Print
- 6 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime (or 1/4 cup lime juice)
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cilantro and lime slices to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all spices, minced garlic, chopped cilantro, lime juice and 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Mix well and add in chicken thighs
- Using hands, rub mixture into the chicken thighs
- Heat 2 tablespoons avocado oil on medium-high heat in a large cast-iron or oven safe skillet
- Once oil is hot, place chicken thighs into the skillet skin side down for 5 minutes. Flip chicken and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken into the oven to finish cooking for an additional 15 minutes, or until fully cooked
- Remove from oven, garnish with additional cilantro and limes (or juice of limes) and serve!
Chicken thighs, due to their dark meat, can still appear pink or brown even when fully cooked. To ensure your thighs are done, remove from oven once the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.
Keywords: Chicken, chicken thighs, Whole30, Paleo
This Whole30 Chicken Thighs post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.