This Whole30 breakfast casserole is filled with sausage, tomato, basil and potatoes, and couldn’t be easier to whip up for a Whole30 or Paleo breakfast meal prep recipe. With only a few simple ingredients and a bit of oven baking magic, you’ll have a family friendly, gluten-free, and Whole30 egg bake, or be set for the week ahead!
This Whole30 sausage tomato basil egg bake is delicious for breakfast, lunch, or dinner (brinner, anyone?!) that your family will be guaranteed to love. Also Paleo, and gluten-free this recipe is quick to prepare with only a few simple ingredients but still hearty and filling. This Whole30 egg bake makes great leftovers, it even freezes well for meal prep for the during the week.
Ingredients You’ll Need
There is nothing fancy about this recipe. You’ll need a few veggies like tomatoes and hash browns (or shredded potatoes), almond milk, eggs, basil and some spices. Many stores carry frozen hash browns that are just potatoes. You can check out this Whole30 Items at Target post, or this Whole30 Items at Walmart post to see what they carry!
Any almond milk will work, so long as it’s plain and unflavored, and doesn’t contain any added sugar. I typically use the Thrive Market brand which I order online for a discount from Thrive Market (new members get a $20 shopping credit!), but if you’re wondering what almond milks to grab, check out this list of over 25 Whole30 Compliant Almond Milk Brands & where to find them.
How to Make This Whole30 Breakfast Casserole
We love easy recipes in this household. First, you’re going to brown the ground sausage. You can also make your own sausage by using ground pork, and the seasoning blend from this homemade sausage recipe. Alternatively, you can swap the sausage for ground chicken or beef if you’d like to. You don’t have to brown it all the way, but you’ll want to transfer it to a strainer and let the grease drain really well.
Check out this list of Whole30 Compliant Sausage Options!
To assemble the egg bake, first grease a large casserole dish, and then add 3 cups of thawed hash browns into your casserole dish to start. Crack 12 eggs in a bowl and whisk them together, add your almond milk, salt & pepper and chopped basil. Evenly pour this mixture over your hash browns and top with 2 tomatoes that you’ve thinly sliced. Place into your oven and bake at 350 degrees, be sure to check on it periodically.
Feel free to toss additional veggies into this dish. You can’t go wrong with broccoli, mushrooms, onion, or a little spinach as well in an egg bake like this. So get creative and change it up! You can also add more salt and pepper depending on your or your family’s preference.
Freezing This Whole30 Egg Bake
This Whole30 egg bake freezes and reheats really well. To freeze in individual pieces, you’ll first want to make sure to let it cool all the way first. Then you can wrap each piece in a freezer-friendly paper and then stack them in a freezer container or bag. It’s important to separate them with the paper so once they freeze, they aren’t frozen together and can you can easily pull out just one or two squares at a time.
To reheat from frozen, just pop one into the microwave for about 1 minute to 1.5 minutes, depending on how large the squares were cut!
Other Whole30 Egg Bake & Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love:Print
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups thawed hash browns (or shredded potatoes)
- 3/4 cup loosely packed chopped basil (plus more to garnish if desired)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground sausage until it’s about cooked through. Transfer to a strainer and let it sit while you assemble the rest of the ingredients to drain the grease from the sausage really well
- Begin by greasing a large casserole dish. Add in the hash browns in an even layer over the bottom
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, almond milk, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and then mix well with a fork or whisk until the eggs are beaten. Add in the sausage and stir once more to combine
- Pour the egg and sausage mixture over the hash browns, and then lay the sliced tomatoes over the top of the egg bake
- Place it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top center of the egg bake is fully cooked. This time will vary slightly depending on the size of the casserole dish and how thick or thinly the egg is spread out in it.
Keywords: Whole30 egg bake, Whole30 breakfast casserole, Whole30 sausage recipes, paleo egg bake, paleo breakfast recipes, pork recipes
This Sausage Tomato Basil Whole30 Egg Bake post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.