This easy chorizo and vegetable breakfast skillet is a quick egg-free breakfast that’s perfect for a Whole30, Paleo or gluten-free meal prep recipe. It’s full of hearty veggies and lots of flavor from the herbs and spices in the chorizo, and cooking it in one pan makes clean up simple. It reheats so well, so it’s great for breakfast throughout the week!
Egg-free breakfasts are my typical go to, and I love breakfast hash (or, otherwise known as breakfast skillets) because it just makes breakfast easy. I got really tired of eggs on Whole30, to the point I can hardly look at them, but you can always add an egg to the top of this chorizo breakfast skillet when you’re ready to eat!
This recipe is also really easy to customize to your preference. I’ve often swapped potatoes for broccoli florets, or added shredded brussels sprouts. You can use the veggies you have in your fridge if you want, which makes this a really easy clean-out-the-fridge meal. You can also mix in a small can of drained green chiles if you want it a bit hotter, or serve with guacamole or salsa instead of sliced avocado.
The Whole30 chorizo I used is from Pederson’s, which I typically order online. You can also find chorizo in many grocery stores. If you find it in links instead of ground, you can easily slice open the casing and get the ground chorizo out of the casing to use! Chorizo is so heavily seasoned that it also seasons the vegetables in this breakfast skillet, and removes the need to add much of anything else.
Check out this post on where to find Whole30 compliant sausage products!
Other Egg-Free Breakfast Skillets You’ll Love:Print
- 1 pound ground chorizo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional for serving: 2-3 green onions, salsa, avocado
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, brown the chorizo until it is cooked thoroughly. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked chorizo into a bowl. Leave any grease leftover from the chorizo in the skillet.
- Add the diced potatoes to the skillet and let cook until they’re cooked halfway through, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally, scraping up any browned bits from the chorizo for flavor. Add the olive oil if more cooking oil is needed (if the potatoes are sticking to the pan).
- Once the potatoes are cooked halfway, add in all of the remaining vegetables and spices and stir to combine. Stir frequently, sautéing until the vegetables are fully cooked.
- Add the chorizo back into the skillet, stir to combine and let the chorizo heat back up in the skillet for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve with green onions, salsa, avocado/guacamole or an egg if desired.
- You can also boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender (but not fully cooked), drain and set aside to cool. Then dice them and add them in with the onions and peppers in step 2. This is a good option if you want to prep the potatoes ahead of time, such as the night before, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- You can substitute the potatoes for 1-1.5 cups of broccoli.
- For a spicer breakfast skillet, add a 4 oz. can of diced green chiles in with the vegetables.
- Keeps in the fridge for 4 days.
Keywords: chorizo, breakfast skillet, whole30, egg-free, paleo, breakfast
This Whole30 chorizo breakfast skillet post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.