Air fryer green beans are a simple, healthy and delicious side dish to add to any dinner. Making your green beans in the air fryer is a quick way to get a vegetable on the table with a weeknight meal that requires only a few ingredients and 10 minutes! These green beans are a hit with everyone and are low carb and keto, Whole30, gluten free, and just plain tasty!
Why This Recipe Works:
- Air frying green beans only takes 10 minutes! They are very quick to prep and cook, so this makes them an ideal vegetable side dish for those busy weeknights or days where you don’t feel like cooking.
- Air fried green beans are healthy! They are gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, Whole30, paleo, keto and low carb, and just overall a very simple, straightforward vegetable that anyone can and will enjoy.
- They are easy to customize and add different spices and flavors to so you can change up the flavor depending on what your main dish is going to be.
- There’s very little clean up needed when cooking green beans in the air fryer! You just need to use one bowl to toss your beans with the spices and that’s it!
- This recipe has instructions for how to cook frozen green beans in the air fryer and how to cook fresh green beans in the air fryer. In addition, it also works with all types of beans from french green beans, wax beans, long green beans and string green beans.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Green Beans
The ingredient list for air frying green beans is short, easy and mostly all common items you likely have on hand! You will need oil, either olive or avocado oil, but any type you prefer really will do. You’ll also need garlic powder, salt and pepper. Of course you’ll need your green beans. For those, you’ll want about 1 pound, and they need to have the ends and stems trimmed off.
Optional items you can add for extra flavor include other spices you’d like, such as an Italian blend or red pepper chili flakes. You can tailor the spices to go with whatever you’re serving for the main dish! A few squeezes of lemon slices is also a great optional addition for green beans.
This air fryer recipe does work with different types of green beans. You can use string beans, wax beans, french green beans, yellow beans, long beans or Italian beans (often called Romano beans). There are over 130 variety of green beans, but these are the most common ones you’re most likely to find in your local grocery stores.
Other Easy Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
- Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Gnocchi
- Air Fryer Roasted Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Green Beans in the Air Fryer
It’s so easy to cook green beans in the air fryer! There’s only a few simple steps you’ll need to follow and you’ll quickly have a healthy veggie side dish to add to your dinner or for meal prep.
The first step is to preheat your air fryer if the model you have requires preheating. Heat it to 375 degrees F. Then, add your trimmed green beans, oil and spices into a bowl.
Give them a quick toss to coat the green beans evenly with the oil and spices until they are all mixed well.
Next, add your seasoned green beans into the air fryer basket or rack in a single layer. You may need to do two batches if your air fryer isn’t large enough to do one layer. The green beans can be touching and slightly overlapping, but you do not want to overcrowd them too much.
The final step is to cook the green beans in the air fryer for 9 to 11 minutes, or until they are crisp tender, tossing the beans halfway through cooking. Cook them for closer to 9 minutes if you like a less done, more crunchy green bean.
Instructions to Air Fry Frozen Green Beans:
If you have frozen green beans that you want to cook in the air fryer, you first want to rub off any of the frozen ice crystals (freezer burn) from them. When they cook, this turns into liquid and will impact the end outcome of the green bean texture. Once that’s done, follow the same instructions by adding them to a bowl and tossing in oil and spices.
Then, air fry frozen green beans for 10 minutes on 375 degrees F. Toss them halfway through. Once the 10 minutes is up, you will add an additional 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how you crisp or fork-tender you like them. The only thing that is different about cooking fresh green beans in the air fryer and frozen green beans in the air fryer is simply adding a few extra minutes of cook time!
Air fryer green beans are a really great side dish for a huge variety of meals and proteins. They go great with just about any type of main dish whether it be pork, chicken, steak or beef, seafood or lamb. Below are some ideas for main dishes to serve them with, but they really are ideal with any dinner. Even simple dinners like a roasted whole chicken or baked chicken breasts with sauce or gravy!
- Shrimp Stuffed Salmon
- Instant Pot Steak
- Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken or Chicken Mozzarella Bake
- Broiled Cod
- Dutch Oven Chicken Breasts
- Smoked Lamb Roast
- Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
How to Store Green Beans
Once you’ve cooked your air fried green beans you can store any leftovers you have for up to 4 days. To store them, make sure you allow them to cool completely, and then place them into an airtight container. You can store them on their own, or portion them out into meal prep containers with a protein for easy lunches or weekday meals.
More Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops
- Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- Air Fryer Pork Meatballs
- 1-pound fresh green beans, ends and stems trimmed off
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Lemon wedges for serving
- If your air fryer requires it, preheat it to 375 degrees F.
- Add the green beans, oil and spices into a large bowl and toss well to combine and coat
- Place the green beans into the air fryer basket or rack in a single layer. If your air fryer isn’t large enough to do a single layer, cook them in two batches
- Cook for 9 to 11 minutes, or until crisp-tender, tossing halfway through
- You can change up the seasonings to pair with what your main dish is! Spice blends like adobo, Italian and Lowry’s are great options.
Keywords: air fryer green beans, green beans in air fryer, green beans air fryer, air fry frozen green beans, air fried green beans, air frying green beans, fresh green beans in air fryer,
This air fryer green beans recipe may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.