This chicken mozzarella bake recipe is so quick and easy to make! It only uses 5 ingredients, 30 minutes and uses only one casserole dish. It’s gluten free and low carb, and is a great freezer friendly meal to have prepared for a simple weeknight dinner. Baked chicken and mozzarella goes great with many vegetable sides, noodles or vegetable noodles.
This post is in partnership with Primal Kitchen. They’re giving you 10% off any of their products using the code “PALEOBAILEY” at checkout! I’m happy to work with a company I love, use and believe in so much. Thanks for your support here on the blog and your support for Primal Kitchen!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- This chicken mozzarella bake recipe is low carb, gluten free, and very easy to make completely dairy free as well! It’s really flexible so your whole family can enjoy it.
- It’s only 5 ingredients and only takes 10 minutes to prepare! This recipe proves that easy meals really can taste delicious and they don’t have to take a ton of prep time.
- Chicken mozzarella bake is a main dish that goes with almost any side and is really versatile. You can opt for any type of roasted veggies, or vegetable noodles, pasta, rice, you name it!
- It makes great leftovers and is freezer-friendly!
Looking for more mozzarella chicken recipe ideas? Check out Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts!
Chicken Mozzarella Bake Ingredients
The ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe could not be easier! You will need fresh, thawed chicken breasts. For this, you can either use two large ones and slice them in half though the middle to make them into 4 thinner breasts, or you can use 3-4 that aren’t super thick.
The other items you’ll need include 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms, 24 ounces of marinara sauce, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, or more if you desire. The chicken will be seasoned with salt and Italian seasoning, or a combination of dried parsley, oregano and basil.
Tomato Basil Marinara
You want to make sure you’re using a flavor-packed marinara sauce in this recipe being it’s what the chicken is baked in! I recommend using Primal Kitchen Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce. It’s got a short list of ingredients but it’s full of flavor. This tomato basil marinara is made without sugar, gluten, canola or soybean oil, so it’s also Paleo, Whole30 Approved, and Keto Certified! It’s a great choice for keep this recipe low carb and gluten free.
Making This Baked Chicken and Mozzarella Dairy Free:
This recipe is so easy to make dairy free if you are wanting to accommodate that dietary modification! All you’ll need to do is opt for a dairy-free (vegan) shredded mozzarella. Almost all major grocery stores carry this in the vegan or cheese area so it’s very easy to find.
How to Make Baked Chicken Mozzarella:
There are only 5 easy steps to preparing and making chicken mozzarella. There is really limited prep time that’s needed. If you use pre-sliced mushrooms, the only thing you have to do to prepare is dump everything into a casserole dish!
The first step in making this chicken mozzarella bake is to preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Then, you’ll add the chicken breasts into a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken breasts and rub it in to coat all sides.
The second step is to add the sliced mushrooms into the casserole dish over the seasoned chicken. You could also add diced onions, halved cherry tomatoes or even sliced bell peppers if you’d like additional vegetables in your chicken and mozzarella bake.
Then, pour the jar of marinara sauce over the top of the chicken and mushrooms. Use a spatula if needed to make sure the tomato sauce is spread evenly over the vegetables and chicken.
The last step before baking is to sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top of the tomato marinara sauce. You can also add other types of cheeses along with the mozzarella, such as parmesan.
Place the casserole dish with the chicken breasts, tomato sauce and mozzarella into the oven without a cover on it. You will then bake it for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. The cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. If you’re using really large pieces of chicken, you may need to bake the chicken for up to 45 minutes.
Serving Mozzarella Chicken
This recipe can be served with so many different types of sides. It works with almost anything! You can serve the chicken breasts over noodles, spaghetti squash noodles or other vegetable noodles, or with veggie sides.
Side Dish Serving Ideas:
- Spaghetti Squash (make this easy air fryer spaghetti squash while the chicken mozzarella bakes!)
- Spaghetti or noodles of your choice (gluten free/grain free if desired)
- Cauliflower rice or white rice
- Roasted or steamed broccoli (use this recipe for instant pot steamed broccoli!)
- Roasted or air fryer sweet potatoes
Can you use other vegetables in a chicken mozzarella bake?
You can add additional vegetables to your chicken bake. You will want to choose ones that cook quickly instead of more hearty veggies that need a longer bake time, such as squash or potatoes. Ideal vegetables to add include diced or sliced onions, bell peppers, zucchini or eggplant, spinach or artichoke hearts. You may need to increase the bake time by about 10 minutes to allow any excess moisture from the vegetables to steam/cook off so the dish doesn’t get too watery.
How long do you cook this baked chicken and mozzarella?
The cook time for this recipe is 30 minutes. However, the time it takes to bake will vary depending on how thick your chicken breasts are. Chicken is finished cooking once the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. The thicker your chicken breasts are, the longer your bake time will be. You can use larger chicken breasts if you want or are using this recipe for meal prep, but plan to bake for upwards of 45 minutes. Or, you can slice 2 large chicken breasts in half through the middle to make 4 thinner breasts.
Is chicken mozzarella bake gluten-free?
Yes, this chicken and mozzarella recipe is gluten free! You do not need to make any changes to the recipe to ensure it’s made without gluten.
Can you freeze this chicken and mozzarella recipe?
Yes you can freeze this chicken mozzarella bake both uncooked and cooked. To freeze uncooked, simply assemble the recipe in a freezer and oven safe container, such as a glass casserole dish with a lid or a tin foil freezing/baking dish. You can cook it directly from frozen for about 1 hour, or let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as directed. To freeze cooked, you can bake it in a freezer safe container so you can place a cover on it and freeze in the same dish, or you can separate it out into portions and freeze that way.
Other Baked Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
- Gluten Free Chicken Parm
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Dijon Chicken and Potato Skillet
- Chicken and Bacon Alfredo Casserole
- Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced in half to make into thinner breasts, or 3–4 thin chicken breasts
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Primal Kitchen Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, dried parsley and dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and add the chicken breasts into a 9×13 casserole dish
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken breasts and rub it in on both sides of the chicken
- Add the mushrooms over the top of the seasoned chicken, and then evenly pour the marinara over top of the mushrooms. You can use a spatula to even out the marinara so it’s covering the chicken and mushrooms
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the marinara in an even layer and place the casserole dish into the oven
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered, or until the chicken is cooked through. Cook time may need to be increased if you’re using thick chicken breasts
Keywords: chicken mozzarella bake, baked mozzarella chicken, mozzarella chicken bake, chicken and mozzarella recipe, baked chicken with mozzarella
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 52 g
This Chicken Mozzarella Bake recipe post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.