These Whole30 air fryer bone in chicken thighs are so simple and flavorful. The skin gets crispy while the inside stays juicy and tender. They’re the perfect option for a quick weeknight dinner and are done in under 30 minutes. Not only are these bone in chicken thighs Whole30, but they’re also paleo, gluten free and low carb.
Ingredients For Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Thighs
This recipe is for 4 chicken thighs, so you’ll need 4 skin on, bone in chicken thighs. You can also do this for 2 thighs, which is what we often do for quick weeknight dinners. Simply half the spices called for!
Aside from the chicken thighs, only a few spices are called for, which really makes this recipe so simple and easy. You’ll need a bit of olive oil, or avocado oil, or oil spray. The spices that are used include salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and oregano.
All of these ingredients are easily accessible at grocery stores, and we love cooking with bone in chicken thighs because they are almost always less expensive than chicken breasts. Not only are they more flavorful, but because bone in thighs require less processing than breasts, they’re cheaper!
Using Boneless Thighs? Use This Air Fryer Recipe
Cooking Process For Whole30 Bone In Thighs
The first step to cooking your Whole30 bone in chicken thighs in the air fryer is to pat your chicken dry and place them on a cutting board, plate or flat surface. Combine your spices in a small bowl and use a fork to mix them all together.
Then add a bit of oil, or spray with an oil spray to both sides of the thighs. Dump half of the seasoning mixture over the thighs, and rub the spices in. Then flip the thighs over, sprinkle the other half of the spices over them, and rub into the skin well. Make sure to rub the spices in under the skin, too.
Now you’ll place the thighs into the air fryer basket or rack skin side down. Cook them on 375 degrees F. for 12 minutes. After the time is up, flip the thighs to skin side up and cook them for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until skin is crisp and the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165 degrees F.
Substituting Other Spice Combinations
There are so many different options for how to season air fryer chicken thighs. You can easily change up the flavors by adjusting which spices you use. For example, instead of these spices, you can use a tablespoon or two of an Italian seasoning blend. Or you can use individual spices like rosemary, thyme, oregano and dill.
Any other type of blend or seasonings would work as well, just aim for about 2 tablespoons of whichever you choose.
Serving and Storing Instructions
These thighs are great served with a wide variety of side dish options. Some of our favorites include a couscous salad, side salad with ranch, potato salad, mashed potatoes, and/or roasted vegetables such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, sweet potatoes or green beans.
To store, you will want to first let the Whole30 bone in chicken thighs cool completely first. Then, store the thighs in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. These can be reheated again in the microwave, or oven. If you want to crisp up the skin again, heat in the air fryer for 5 minutes on 400 degrees F., or until warmed through.
Other Whole30 Chicken Thigh Recipes You’ll Love:
- Crispy Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Best Chicken Soup (Stovetop and Instant Pot)
- Mayo Marinated Grilled Chicken Thighs
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon olive oil, or oil spray
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl combine the salt and spices with oil to create a paste. Coat chicken thighs with the paste.
- Place in the air fryer basket and cook at 360-degrees for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the internal temperature reaches 165-degrees.
- For skin on chicken thighs, after the cook time is up, increase the temperature to 400 degrees and cook skin side up for an additional 5 minutes to crisp up the skin.
- Pat chicken thighs dry and lay on a flat surface such as a cutting board or plate
- In a small bowl, combine the spices together
- Drizzle or spray a light amount of oil onto the chicken thighs and rub into both sides of the thighs. Sprinkle half of the spice mixture over the thighs and rub into that side, flip them over and sprinkle the last half of the spices over the other side and rub in. Be sure to get the spices under the skin well
- Place the thighs into the air fryer basket or rack skin side down, and cook on 375 degrees F. for 12 minutes
- Flip the thighs over and cook skin side up for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the skin is crispy and the chicken is cooked to 165 degrees F.
Keywords: Whole30 Chicken Thighs, Air Fryer Chicken, Bone In Chicken Thighs, Low Carb Chicken, Gluten Free, Paleo Chicken
This Whole30 air fryer bone in chicken thighs post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.