This easy Whole30 slow cooker Hawaiian chicken fajitas recipe is perfect for an easy family-friendly weeknight meal. It’s a simple set it and forget crockpot meal that’s also paleo, gluten-free and dairy-free. The tender, fall apart chicken thighs and vegetables can be served in wraps, as a salad over greens, or as part of a taco bar!
Related: 50 Easy Whole30 Slow Cooker Recipes
Ingredients in Whole30 Hawaiian Chicken Fajitas
This recipe only uses a few really simple ingredients. For fresh items, you’ll need a pound and a half of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. This is about 5 to 6 thighs. You’ll also need half of a lime, a sliced red pepper and sliced red onion.
The remaining ingredients are pantry, or shelf-stable, items. Those include coconut aminos and coconut sugar, which can be omitted for Whole30. You’ll also need a can of pineapple slices. You’ll use the slices and the pineapple juice in the recipe. You can use fresh pineapple, but you’ll still need to either juice it or use canned juice.
A few spices and seasonings are required for the slow cooker fajitas, and those are cumin, garlic, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. All of these spices and the pantry items are easily available at major grocery stores, or online at places like Amazon or at a discount from Thrive Market.
Related: Whole30 Shopping Lists for Target, Walmart, Thrive Market, and Trader Joe’s
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken Fajitas Cooking Steps
There’s only three main steps to making these chicken fajitas. The first is to mix together the pineapple juice, lime juice, coconut aminos and coconut sugar. Add in all of the spices and use a fork to combine everything. Then you’ll add your chicken thighs into the slow cooker, and pour the mixture over the chicken.
The next step is to lay the pineapple slices over the chicken thighs in a single layer. Cover the slow cooker and let it cook for 6 to 8 hours on low, or 3 to 4 hours on high.
Finally, the last step is to remove the pineapple slices 30 minutes prior to when it’s done cooking or you’re ready to eat. Dice them into chunks, and then use 2 forks to shred the chicken thighs. They’ll be very tender, so you can do this easily right in the slow cooker.
Add in your diced pineapple, and the sliced peppers and onions. You’ll stir them into the shredded chicken and cover the slow cooker once more. Let it finish cooking for the remaining 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Serving and Storing Instructions
There are so many ways to serve and enjoy these slow cooker Hawaiian chicken fajitas. You can serve them over greens for a salad, in collard or lettuce wraps, in butterhead lettuce cups, with a creamy coleslaw, or over a baked potato.
You can also serve them as part of a taco bar with all of the taco / fajita toppings, with grain-free tortillas or in burritos. Over cauliflower rice, or brown rice (if you’re not eating Whole30 or Paleo), is also a really tasty way to eat these fajitas!
To store your chicken fajitas, you should first let them cool. Then you can store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. These can also be frozen, all together or in portions for one meal time, for up to 4 months.
Other Whole30 Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love:Print
- 1.5 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 4 slices of cored pineapple, canned in 100% juice, or fresh
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, omit if sugar free/Whole30
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, halved then thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine pineapple juice, lime juice, coconut sugar, coconut aminos, cumin, paprika, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Place chicken thighs in your slow cooker and pour mixture evenly over the chicken
- Lay the pineapple slices over the chicken thighs in a single layer. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours
- 30 minutes prior to eating, remove the pineapple slices and dice into chunks. Use two forks to shred chicken in the slow cooker. Add pineapple chunks, along with sliced peppers and onions into the slow cooker and stir into the shredded chicken
- Place cover back on and cook for the remaining 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Grain free tortillas (Siete brand), cauliflower rice, or lettuce wraps, optional for serving
Keywords: whole30 slow cooker, chicken recipes, hawaiian chicken fajitas, gluten free recipes, slow cooker chicken fajitas, dairy free
- Calories: 232
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.2 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 23.4 g
This Whole30 slow cooker Hawaiian chicken fajitas post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.