These instant pot chicken drumsticks are a fast way to get perfect chicken drumsticks without a lot of mess. They are both gluten and dairy free and are absolutely delicious. The homemade gravy makes this recipe perfect for a classic chicken and mashed potato meal the whole family will love, plus it’s Whole30, paleo and low carb! This 30 minute, no mess instant pot chicken is sure to be a hit!
Chicken Drumstick Ingredients
To make this recipe you start with 2 to 2.5 pounds of chicken drumsticks. The seasonings you’ll need are oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dried parsley, salt, and pepper. Beyond that you just need 2 tablespoons of ghee or butter and a cup of chicken broth.
Making Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
Start the chicken drumsticks by mixing the spices together in a small dish. Sprinkle the seasoning mix onto the drumsticks and toss and rub the seasoning to coat the chicken evenly.
Next set the instant pot to “sauté” mode and add the ghee (or butter) to melt. Once that’s done, add a few drumsticks to the instant pot and sear them for about 3 minutes. Flip them and sear the other side for an additional 3 minutes. Repeat this step in batches until all of the drumsticks are seared on both sides.
When the chicken drumsticks are all seared, deglaze the bottom of the instant pot insert. Do this by adding in the broth and using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to scrape up any of the brown bits cooking to the bottom of the pot. Then add the trivet to the instant pot.
Now add the drumsticks on top of the trivet. Don’t worry if they’re stacked a little or overlapping, this is fine. Place the lid on the instant pot and make sure the valve is set to “sealing.”
Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When time is up do an immediate quick releasee of the valve and remove the lid. Then transfer the chicken drumsticks to a serving dish.
Lastly, make the gravy. Start that by removing the trivet and setting the instant pot back to “sauté” mode. Mix 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablespoon of flour (or arrowroot flour) until its well combined. Add this mixture to the instant pot. Stir until the gravy is at a slow simmer and has thickened up.
Add any salt or pepper to taste, garnish with chopped parsley or chopped green onions, and enjoy!
Other Chicken Drumstick Recipes to Try and Love:
Serving and Storing Instructions
You can definitely just have chicken drumsticks on their own but I love serving these with a side of mashed potatoes or cauliflower mashed potatoes and a side of roasted veggies. It’s classic and hits all the spots.
Another great way to eat these chicken drumsticks is to top a bed of rice and veggies. It kind of forms a dinner bowl of sorts and works well with the gravy and veggies.
To store these just let them cool to room temperature and place in an air tight container and refrigerate. Keep the gravy separate, however! You can also meal prep with these for an easy lunch. They will keep for about 5 days.
Other Wing/Drumstick Recipes You’ll Love!
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Wings
- Everything But the Bagel Wings
- Salt and Pepper Wings
- Smoked Buffalo Wings
- Instant Pot Tandoori Drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2–2.5-pounds chicken drumsticks (8 to 10 drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Optional, to make gravy: 1 tablespoon flour (or arrowroot flour)
- Combine the spices together in a small dish. Sprinkle the seasoning over the drumsticks and rub it in so all sides of the drumsticks are evenly coated
- Turn your instant pot onto “sauté” and add the butter to melt. Once melted, add in a few of the drumsticks skin side down and sear for 3 minutes. Flip them and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes and then remove from the instant pot. You will need to do this in 2 or 3 batches until they are all seared
- Once they’ve all been seared and removed, add the broth and deglaze the bottom of the instant pot by scraping off any of the browned bits. Add the trivet into the bottom of the pot
- Place the drumsticks into the instant pot on top of the trivet. Stacking or overlapping them is fine
- Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to “sealing”. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Once done, immediately do a quick release and remove the lid
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. You can make a gravy very easily with the drippings by removing the trivet, setting the instant pot back onto sauté mode and adding 1 tablespoon of flour (mixed until dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water). Stir until the sauce is at a slow simmer and thickened. Add more salt if desired and pour over the chicken
- Garnish with chopped parsley, over mashed potatoes or with roasted vegetable sides
- For Whole30 and Paleo, use ghee instead of butter
Keywords: instant pot chicken drumsticks, how to make instant pot chicken drumsticks, chicken drumsticks with gravy, homemade gravy
This instant pot chicken drumsticks recipe may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.