Instant pot chicken and rice soup is the perfect way to get a fulfilling, hearty soup on the table fast. It has minimal prep and is both gluten free and dairy free, and because it’s done in the instant pot there’s only one dish to clean. This chicken soup is perfect for a family meal on its own or a starter or side for a gathering. Plus it’s ready in under 30 minutes!
Chicken and Rice Soup Ingredients
First off with this recipe you’ll need ghee and garlic. Then you will need one diced onion, diced carrots, diced celery, and a pound and a half of diced chicken breasts. The seasonings you’ll need for this are salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, pepper, and lemon juice. Lastly, a cup of long grain white rice, four cups of chicken broth, and two and a half cups of water and you’re all set.
Making Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
Start your chicken and rice soup by setting the Instant Pot to ‘saute’ and add in the ghee. Once hot, add in the garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Saute them for about 4 minutes before adding in the chicken. Let this heat together for about 3 minutes.
Now add the seasonings (salt, italian seasoning, thyme, pepper, and lemon juice) on top of the chicken. Stir it around to evenly coat the diced chicken. Saute this for about 3 minutes and then turn the instant pot off ‘sauté’ mode.
Next is where we add in the rice, chicken broth, and water. Stir it to combine and place the lid onto the instant pot. Make sure the valve is set to ‘sealing’ and cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes. When the time is up, let in naturally release pressure for about 10 minutes and then flip the valve and manually release the rest of the pressure.
Remove the lid from the instant pot and stir your soup around. Add in any water or chicken broth as desired so your soup is the thickness you want. We like a thicker soup with this one but anything goes!
Serving and Storing Instructions
Garnish this delicious soup with chopped parsley, black pepper, and/or lemon wedges. It makes for a pretty (pretty delicious) soup!
This recipe is fantastic as a standalone meal or served with a side of roasted veggies or a house salad. You can also definitely use your chicken and rice soup in smaller portions as a side or starter for any meal that you’d want soup to pair with.
To store this recipe let it cool to room temperature and place in either a large air tight container or individual meal prep containers and refrigerate. It will keep well for about 5 days. This hearty soups is great for a leftover meal as it reheats well and is full of the good stuff!
More Delicious Soups You’ll Love!
- Italian White Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Vegan Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Ground Beef & Vegetable Soup
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced, about 2 tsp)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1.5-pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced in 1 to 1.5 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about the juice from ½ lemon)
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth, plus more to add to thin at the end to your preference
- 2.5 cups water
- Optional for serving lots of chopped parsley, black pepper, lemon wedges
- Turn your instant pot onto “sauté” mode and add the ghee into the bottom. Once hot, add in the garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Sauté them for about 4 minutes, and then add in the chicken.
- Sauté the chicken with the vegetables for about 3 minutes, and then add in the salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, pepper and lemon juice over the chicken and stir to coat. Sauté the chicken for another 3 minutes. Turn off sauté mode
- Add in the rice, broth and water. Stir to combine and then place the lid onto the instant pot. Set the valve to “sealing”, and cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes
- Once the time is up, let the instant pot release naturally for about 10 minutes, and then flip the valve to release the rest of the pressure and remove the lid
- Stir the rice and chicken and add additional broth to thin it out. We like a thicker chicken and rice, but you can add in as much broth or water to your preference
Keywords: instant pot chicken and rice soup, fast chicken and rice soup, easy chicken and rice soup, easy instant pot chicken soup, easy instant pot rice soup
This instant pot chicken and rice soup recipe may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.