These instant pot beef meatballs are Whole30, paleo, gluten-free and, importantly, so easy to make. The meatballs and marinara take less than 10 minutes cooking time with the pressure cooker and they’re a great family friendly healthy recipe for a weeknight dinner or for a Whole30 meal prep recipe.
This Whole30 instant pot beef meatballs and marinara recipe is also a very budget friendly Whole30 or Paleo recipe. Ground is one of the least expensive meats, and with a jar of marinara, this recipe makes a lot of food to feed your family, use for meal prepping lunches, or to freeze half and save for later.
Instant Pot Beef Meatball Ingredients
To make these meatballs in the instant pot, you’ll need two pounds of ground beef. You could substitute one of the pounds of beef for ground pork if you wanted to as well (to substitute ground chicken, use this recipe). You’ll also need a few spices and seasonings, a can of diced tomatoes and a jar of marinara.
For the marinara, it’s important if you’re eating Whole30 or Paleo to find a marinara without sugar added to the ingredients. There are quite a few options available at major retailers such as Target, Fresh Thyme and Walmart, along with Thrive Market’s brand which offers 3 different compliant marinara varieties. Primal Kitchen also carries two different varieties, tomato basil being my favorite for this Whole30 beef meatball recipe (and the code PALEOBAILEY saves you 15% off your order on their website, too), or you can find them on Amazon or Thrive Market as well.
How to Make Whole30 Instant Pot Beef Meatballs & Marinara
You’ll first start by spraying the bottom of the instant pot insert with a light coating of a spray oil, such as avocado or olive oil. This helps to cover the sensors of the instant pot to prevent the newer instant pot models from giving a “burn notice”, which they do if there’s food on the bottom of the instant pot, even if it’s not actually burning.
Then you’ll add the diced tomatoes and the jar of marinara into the instant pot. Once that’s done, you’re going to mix together all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl. It’s important to incorporate all of the ingredients together, but not to overmix, which can dry out the meat. Begin rolling the beef mixture into balls, and once formed, each meatball can go directly into the sauce in the instant pot.
Cover the bottom with a layer of meatballs, and then begin adding a second layer. You do not need to smash them in together, just gently set the second layer of meatballs on top of the first, but between meatballs on the first layer, as if you’re stacking them. Once all of the formed meatballs are in the instant pot, do not stir them.
Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to sealing. The Whole30 instant pot beef meatballs will cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. After the quick release, they’re ready to eat! They should come out easily with a spoon, and then you can spoon the marinara sauce over the meatballs.
These are great served over spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles or butternut squash noodles, mashed cauliflower or potatoes, or just on their own with some vegetable sides like green beans and a baked potato.
Other Whole30 Instant Pot Recipes You’ll LovePrint
- Spray the bottom of your instant pot with a thin coating of oil (avocado or olive)
- Add the marinara sauce and the can of diced tomatoes (undrained) into the instant pot
- Next, in a large bowl, combine the ground beef, almond flour, onion, and seasonings. Use your hands to mix together well. Roll into 1-inch meatballs, or use an ice cream scoop, and directly place the meatballs into the instant pot and sauce, layering the bottom. They can be touching each other, just don’t jam them in too tightly next to each other
- Once the bottom is covered in meatballs, begin to add a second layer by gently placing the remaining meatballs on top of the bottom layer. Do this until all of the beef meatballs are in the instant pot
- Close the lid, and set for 8 minutes on high pressure and the valve on “sealing”
- Once done, do a quick release. Serve the meatballs with the marinara!
- If the meatball mixture is too wet to form into meatballs, add an additional 1/2 cup almond flour
Keywords: whole30 instant pot, whole30 beef meatballs, meatballs and marinara, paleo instant pot, low carb meatballs, low carb instant pot
This Whole30 instant pot beef meatballs post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.