This easy Whole30 butternut squash green bean casserole recipe is a healthy vegetable side dish that’s perfect for the fall and winter months. It’s simple to prepare, deliciously creamy, and it’s paleo, gluten-free and dairy-free. This butternut squash recipe is a different way to enjoy this veggie, and it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner side or a holiday meal.
This post is in partnership with Ello Products, and all opinions are my own. I’m happy to work with a company I love, use and believe in so much. Thanks for your support here on the blog and your support for Ello Products! Use the code BAILEY15 to save 15% off of your online purchase!
Whole30 Butternut Squash and Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
To make this recipe, you’ll need a decent sized butternut squash that’s about 2 to 2.5 pounds. You’ll also need 2 cans of cut green beans. There’s a creamy casserole sauce that the vegetables are baked in, which is made from almond milk, ghee, arrowroot flour, chicken broth and a few common spices. The butternut squash and green beans are topped with almonds for some crunch, and sliced almonds work best for this.
How to Cook This Whole30 Butternut Squash Recipe
The butternut squash is first roasted, and then added with the green beans into an 8×8 baking dish. The baking dish I prefer for this, and many other oven-cooked recipes, is my Duraglass 8×8 Baking Dish from Ello. These baking dishes are ideal for meal prep because they come with a lid, and for serving from because of the silicone sleeve that acts as a trivet and protects the glass! It can go from freezer, to oven, right to the table and then leftovers can get stored in the same dish without using even more dishes.
The 8×8 baking dish is the perfect size for this vegetable casserole, but also for baked goods, egg bakes, roasting chicken, casseroles, and more. You can save 15% off of your glass baking dishes using the code BAILEY15 with your online order from Ello Products!
Then you’ll then need to prepare the homemade cream of chicken. To do this, you’ll first melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Once it’s melted, slowly whisk in the flour. Continue whisking the flour and ghee until a paste is formed.
Then slowly whisk in the almond milk and chicken broth. Continually whisk until the liquid is incorporated with flour mixture and begins to thicken. This will take about 5 minutes, at which point the cream of chicken stock will be thick and at a slow simmer.
Pour the cream of chicken into your 8×8 baking dish and stir it into the butternut squash and green beans. Level out the vegetables so they’re in an even layer for baking, and then add the sliced almonds to the top of the casserole. Now all that’s left is to bake it! You’ll place it in the oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until the butternut squash is cooked through.
How to Make This Butternut Squash Recipe Vegan
This recipe is already full of vegetables, but there are a few simple changes to make it completely vegetarian/vegan and without ghee. Instead of chicken broth, replace it by using the same amount of vegetable stock. In place of the ghee, which is clarified butter, you can use a vegan butter option of your choice, or simply replace it with the same amount of oil, such as olive oil.
This recipe also calls for almond milk. You can use any dairy-free milk you prefer, such as coconut milk (not canned). If you do not want to use a dairy-free milk, you can replace the milk with additional broth.
Other Whole30 Squash Recipes You’ll Love:Print
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans cut green beans, drained
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup arrowroot, or gluten-free 1:1 flour
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet, spray the squash with a bit of cooking oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Bake for 35 minutes
- While squash bakes, add green beans to your 8×8 baking dish and combine the spices in a small dish
- Prepare the casserole sauce (homemade cream of chicken) by first melting the ghee in a sauce pan
- If you’re using arrowroot, dissolve the arrowroot in 1/4 cup of tap water by mixing with a fork, and then pour the mixture into the sauce pan with the melted ghee
- Begin whisking the flour into the ghee until it’s combined, and then slowly pour in the almond milk and chicken broth while continuously whisking
- The sauce will begin to thicken as it’s combined. Add in the spices. Continue whisking until it’s reduced and thick, about 3-4 minutes
- Remove from the heat and pour into the baking dish. Add the roasted butternut squash, and use two spoons to gently fold the sauce in with the squash and green beans. Sprinkle the almonds on top
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the casserole sauce is bubbling around the edges
Keywords: side dish, green bean casserole, dairy-free, gluten-free, butternut squash, vegetables, vegetarian, whole30 recipes, paleo
This Whole30 green bean and butternut squash casserole post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.