These Whole30 skillet meatballs are cooked up in one pan on the stovetop with the marinara, no oven needed! It’s a quick and easy weeknight dinner or meal prep recipe that covers all your dietary bases, Whole30, Paleo, low carb, dairy-free, you name it. Just some good, flavorful Italian style meatballs.
These Whole30 skillet meatballs is my all time favorite recipe for meatballs, oven baked or made on the stove. The combination of ground beef and ground pork makes them just so juicy and perfect even after reheating if you’re using them for meal prep. The best part of these is that they basically cook themselves once you sear them, except in a lot less time than they do in the oven.
I add the marinara sauce in to let the Whole30 meatballs just simmer in them to cook. There’s a ton of Whole30 compliant marinara sauces on the market nowadays. My favorites are the basil or the garlic marinaras from Thrive Market, which are my budget and go-to options. Next on my list of favorites after that are all of the options from Fresh Thyme. They have 4 different compliant ones so if you’re in the midwest, check those out! Target also carries a compliant Target brand marinara, along with Rao’s.
Check out my Fresh Thyme shopping guide, and my Target Whole30 shopping guide!
You can serve these Whole30 skillet meatballs any number of ways. I often just put them on my plate on their own with some veggie sides, mashed potatoes, and go to town! Other things I love to eat them with are zucchini noodles or butternut squash noodles.
My trick to getting veggie noodles to be not soggy is to strain them and squeeze them through a nut milk bag after you cook them. This gets the excess water out, but allows them to still keep their shape. If they cool down too much while you’re squeezing the water out, put them back into the skillet for a quick half a minute to heat them back up!Print
- 1 pound ground mild pork sausage
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup almond meal/flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 white onion, grated directly into bowl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups sugar free marinara (I prefer Rao’s)
- 1 13.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, liquid drained
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, excluding olive oil, make sure to grate onion directly into the bowl to keep the juices
- Use hands to roll into 2 inch balls (or desired size)
- Preheat skillet on stove top with olive oil over medium heat
- Cook meatballs for 4 minutes on each side
- Pour marinara evenly into the skillet, add diced tomatoes, reduce heat to medium low and then cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked completely
- Top with fresh parsley or basil and serve!
Simmer time may differ depending on the size of meatballs, for larger meatballs, add an additional 5 minutes.
Keywords: Whole30 meatballs, skillet meal, one pan, paleo
This Whole30 skillet meatballs recipe may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.