This Whole30 potato bacon chowder is an easy soup recipe that can be made in either the instant pot or slow cooker. The potatoes and bacon combine with the onions and a few other fresh ingredients for a healthy, dairy free weeknight meal that’s gluten free, paleo, and is also a great meal prep recipe.
Whole30 Potato Soup Ingredients
For this recipe you need 6 cups of peeled and cubed white potatoes. This should be roughly 3 large potatoes. Secondly you need 6 slices of cooked and chopped bacon. Add one or two extra if you’re a bigger bacon fan. You’ll also need a half of a diced red onion and 2 diced green onions.
Making Whole30 Potato Bacon Soup in the Instant Pot
To start off the paleo potato soup, set the instant pot to sauté mode and add the ghee. Once the ghee is melted, add in the onion and stir occasionally. When the onion becomes translucent, add in the potatoes, spices, and broth.
Place the lid onto the instant pot and make sure the release valve is set to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes. Once the time is up, use the quick release to let the steam out and open the pot.
Switch the instant pot back to sauté and add in your thickener (the arrowroot flour or tapioca flour) and the almond milk. Whisk it together until any clumps are dissolved and the soup thickens. Stir in the bacon and let it rest a couple of minutes for the bacon to heat through.
Making Whole30 Potato Soup in the Slow Cooker
For the slow cooker version of this recipe, you start by adding all of the ingredients except the bacon, almond milk, and thickener (the arrowroot flour or tapioca flour) to the slow cooker. You can cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Either way, when time is up, add the thickener and almond milk to the slow cooker and whisk the soup until it thickens and any clumps are dissolved.
Another option is to add the almond milk to a large skillet over medium heat and add in the thickener. Whisk that until the clumps are dissolved and its thick and bubbly. Then add it to the slow cooker and stir it into the Whole30 potato soup.
Stir in the cooked bacon and let it heat through for a few minutes. Give it a garnish and enjoy!
Serving and Storing Instructions
Garnishing your Whole30 potato soup is as easy as sprinkling with green onions or fresh cracked pepper. Serve wish a side salad for a healthy soup and salad night or just dig into the soup on its own.
To store this recipe, let it cool to room temperature and place it in a large airtight container or separate it into individual meal prep containers for lunches. This paleo potato soup will reheat well in the microwave and satisfy again as leftovers.
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
- Ground Beef and Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
YOU CAN GET MY FAVORITE SUGAR FREE BACON IN THE ULTIMATE WHOLE30 BOX ON THE SIMPLE GROCER.Print
- 6 cups peeled and cubed white potatoes (about 3 large potatoes)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 6 slices cooked and chopped bacon
- 2 diced green onions, leave one half out for garnish
- 28 ounces chicken stock or bone broth
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or tapioca flour (thickener)
- 3 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or salt and pepper to taste)
- small pinch of red pepper flakes
For Slow Cooker Method:
- Add all ingredients besides cooked bacon, almond milk and thickener to the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Once done, add thickener and almond milk to the slow cooker and whisk until clumps (if any) are dissolved
- You can also add almond milk to a large skillet on the stove top over medium heat, add in thickener, whisk until thick (and bubbling) and clumps dissolve, then add into slow cooker
- Stir in cooked bacon and allow to heat up for a few minutes before serving
- Garnish and enjoy!
For Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) Method:
- Use Sauté mode first and put ghee into the pot
- Once it’s melted, add in the onion, stirring occasionally
- Once the onion is translucent, add in all spices, potatoes and the chicken broth
- Close the lid and cook on the Manual High Pressure setting for 12 minutes
- Once time is up, use the quick release to open the pot
- Select the Sauté mode and add in thickener and almond milk
- Whisk until thick and any clumps are dissolved
- Stir in bacon
- Garnish and enjoy!
Keywords: potato bacon soup, Whole30 soup, easy paleo soup
This Whole30 Potato Bacon Soup post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.