This peanut butter chicken skillet is a super easy one pot meal. It is naturally dairy free and gluten free and the combination of the spices, chicken, and peanut butter make for a hearty, fulfilling dish. It takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish for a dinner that the whole family will love!
Peanut Butter Chicken Skillet Ingredients
For the chicken part of this recipe start with 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless, chicken thighs diced into about 1-1 1/2 inch cubes and half a yellow onion, diced. You’ll then need garlic powder, ground ginger, turmeric, and pepper. Lastly you require avocado oil or olive oil, a third cup of peanut butter, a third cup of chopped peanuts, and a third cup of chopped cilantro.
To make the sauce you’ll start with a 14.5 oz can of coconut milk and coconut aminos or soy sauce. Then you will need cornstarch or flour, the juice from one lime (about 2 tablespoons), a tablespoon of fish sauce (make sure it’s gluten free if you’re going for that), and two tablespoons of chili sauce. Beyond that you just need a quarter cup of brown sugar or honey, and coriander.
Optionally, you can use more cilantro, a red jalapeno, diced green onion, and/or lemon wedges. All of these can be garnish and the jalapeno, cilantro, and onion can be to add to the flavors of the dish.
Making the Skillet
Start the recipe by adding the garlic powder, ginger, turmeric, and pepper to a large bowl and mixing thoroughly to incorporate. Next add the diced chicken and toss to get the pieces coated evenly.
In a medium bowl, add the sauce ingredients and whisk it together until well combined. Set this aside for now.
Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it’s hot add in the chicken and onions. Let them saute together for 5-6 minutes. Then pour in the sauce and bring it to a simmer. If you opted for a sliced red jalapeño in the ingredients you’ll add this now.
Simmer this for about 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened up a bit. Now add in the peanut butter and mix it up until the peanut butter is incorporated and melted into the sauce well.
Top the skillet off with chopped peanuts and cilantro and add any additional garnishes you gathered.
Serving and Storing Instructions
Serve this skillet over rice or mashed potatoes or simply on its own with a side of roasted veggies. A side of chips and salsa work well also if that’s your thing.
To store this recipe let it cool to room temperature and place in an airtight container or individual meal prep containers and refrigerate. It will keep well for about 5 days in the refrigerator. The peanut butter chicken skillet makes for a hearty leftover dinner or weekday lunch.
Other Skillet Recipes You’ll Love!
- Garlic Chicken and Potato Skillet
- Hot and Spicy Beef
- Kung Pao Chicken Stir Fry
- Country Potato Bacon and Egg Skillet
- Coconut Lime Chicken Skillet
- Beef and Broccoli Skillet
For the Chicken:
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced into 1–1.5 inch pieces
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Optional: 1 sliced red pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or flour
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon gluten free fish sauce (or regular depending on what you’re going for)
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (can substitute 1/4 cup honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Optional: red jalapeno, more cilantro, diced green onion, lime wedges to garnish
- Add the garlic powder, ginger, turmeric and pepper to a large bowl and mix to combine. Then add in the diced chicken and toss to evenly coat
- Add the sauce ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together until all combined well and set aside
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the chicken and onions and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes. Then pour in the prepared sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened a bit, then mix in the peanut butter until fully incorporated and melted into the sauce.
- Top with chopped peanuts and cilantro, and any additional garnishes
Add the sliced red pepper if using during step 3 when you add in the sauce.
Keywords: peanut butter chicken skillet, peanut chicken skillet, gluten free peanut butter chicken skillet, dairy free peanut butter chicken skillet, gluten free peanut chicken skillet, dairy free peanut chicken skillet
This peanut butter chicken skillet recipe may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.