- 3 pounds boiled russet potatoes or any other white potato peeled and cubed in 2 inch cubes (About 8 medium size potatoes)
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potato cubes and 2 teaspoons of the salt. Cook for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are fork tender and able to be mashed with a little resistance. Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add all other ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well to combine.
- With a fork or potato masher, lightly mash the potatoes so they’re slightly creamy but still semi-formed. Gently fold into the large bowl with the vegetables and mayo mixture. Combine well, garnish with green onion and additional salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 2 hours prior to serving.
If you choose to grate the onion, grate it directly into the bowl you’ll be mixing the mayo in to keep the onion juice that’s released during the grating process.
Gently mashing the potatoes helps make the potato salad creamier and let’s the potatoes absorb more of the flavors.