- 3–5 pound whole chicken, innards removed
- 1–2 tablespoons avocado oil for searing
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices with the lemon juice and ghee. Stir really well to create a paste.
- Dry chicken thoroughly and then season chicken, ensuring to rub paste under the skin. Stuff cavity with onion quarters.
- Set instant pot to the saute setting. Add oil and allow to heat up, and then add the whole chicken, breast side down, and sear, about 4-5 minutes. Using tongs, flip the chicken over and sear for an additional 4-5 minutes; remove chicken and set aside.
- Insert the metal trivet into the instant pot and add the broth. Set the chicken on top of the trivet.
- Set to manual high pressure for 25 minutes, and set to valve to sealing. When finished cooking, do a natural release. Allow to rest for a few minutes to lock in all of the juices.
- Serve immediately with additional lemon slices or thyme.