For the Chicken:
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1.5–2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite size pieces
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup apple juice (100% juice, no added sugar)
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Optional: sliced green onions or additional sesame seeds to garnish
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- Dice the chicken and sprinkle the salt, pepper and arrowroot over the chicken while it’s on the cutting board. Use your hands to mix around and coat the chicken with the arrowroot.
- Put the instant pot on sauté mode and add the oil into the pot. Once it’s hot, add in the chicken and brown for about 2 minutes on each side. Do not fully cook, just lightly sear.
- While the chicken is browning, mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Once the chicken is done browning, press “cancel”. Dump the sauce ingredients into the instant pot and stir in with the chicken.
- Put the lid onto the instant pot, set the valve to “sealing”. Next, set the instant pot to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the instant pot is done, do a quick release and set it back to “sauté” mode. Bring to a simmer and let sauce thicken. If you want the sauce thicker, then dissolve 1/2 tbsp arrowroot flour in with 1 tbsp of water in a small dish, and then pour into the instant pot. Stir to combine, let thicken and then serve!
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be substituted
- Orange juice can be used in place of apple juice, but it will change the flavor of the dish
- When working with arrowroot, if you need to thin it out you can do so by adding 1/4 cup of water incrementally, or vice versa you can thicken it by incrementally adding 1-2 teaspoons of arrowroot dissolved in a bit of water at a time.
Find it online: https://www.wholekitchensink.com/instant-pot-sesame-chicken/