- 2.5 lbs stewing beef, cut in cubes
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2–3 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1.5 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3–4 cups chopped red potatoes (about 5–6 red potatoes)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped, or 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- Place the beef in a ziploc bag or a large bowl. Add in the arrowroot flour and 1 tsp each salt and pepper. Shake or stir until beef is coated in the flour.
- Set the instant pot to the sauté setting and add in the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the beef pieces with tongs and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side and then remove and place on a plate. You’ll need to do this in two batches as to not overcrowd the beef.
- Once the beef is browned and has been removed from the instant pot, add in the minced garlic while the instant pot is still on sauté mode. Saute the garlic until fragrant, cancel the saute mode, and then add in all of the remaining ingredients.
- Stir everything together and close the lid. Set the instant pot to manual high pressure for 30 minutes. Once it’s finished, you can flip the toggle to do a quick release, or allow it to manually release (a process which takes about 15 minutes). Remove the bay leaves and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Follow instructions 1-2, but using a large skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. And once the beef is browned, you can transfer directly into the slow cooker. Saute the garlic until fragrant, and then add that into the slow cooker.
- Add in all remaining ingredients, stir together, put the cover on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove the bay leaves and serve.