- 16 ounces kerrygold butter, or any unsalted grass-fed butter
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean, sliced down the middle and scraped with a spoon to get all of the “seeds”, OR 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- Place butter into slow cooker on low and cover with the lid
- Cook for 2-3 hours until milk solids fall to the bottom and turn brown, do not stir during cooking
- Place a double layer of cheesecloth over the mouth of the storage jar (Mason or Weck glass jars recommended)
- Carefully pour liquid from slow cooker into the jar through the cheesecloth (you can do this best by using a funnel, measuring bowl with spout for pouring or even a large baster)
- The milk solids will accumulate on the top of cheesecloth. These can be discarded, or you can use a new piece if it gets too clogged
- Once no ghee is left in the slow cooker and jars are filled, cover and let cool for about an hour.
- Once ghee is soft but not liquid anymore, divide seeds yielded from vanilla bean by amount of jars of ghee, and stir into each jar of ghee (example- if you used 2 8ounce jars, 1/2 of the vanilla bean seeds would go into each jar)
- Refrigerate jars you won’t be using right away and enjoy!