For the Casserole
- 1.5 pounds cooked chicken breasts, diced or shredded
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can sliced carrots, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced potatoes, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can cut green beans, drained
For the Gravy
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tbsp arrowroot flour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
For the Topping:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- Grease a 3 or 4 quart casserole dish and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the chicken and vegetables into the dish.
- Preheat a deep skillet over medium-high heat and add all of the sauce ingredients except for the arrowroot dissolved in water. Bring it to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Mix the arrowroot into 1 tbsp of water in a small dish and dissolve. Once the sauce has reduced a bit after simmering about 10 minutes, pour the arrowroot water into the sauce and begin stirring to incorporate it into the sauce. It will begin thickening.
- Once the sauce has thickened, pour it into the casserole dish over the chicken and vegetables. Use a spoon to combine the sauce in with the other ingredients, gently as to not smash the vegetables.
- Next, in a large bowl, add all of the topping ingredients. Use your hands to mix it all together. Continue mixing until the ghee is completely incorporated and the topping becomes a dough like consistency.
- Using your hands, pick up quarter size dollops of the topping and flatten a bit before placing each dollop over the top of the casserole. Slightly press each dollop into the top of the casserole but don’t smash down. Repeat this process until the topping is gone and the casserole is covered.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven once the topping is golden brown, don’t allow it to burn.
- You can use fresh, or frozen, vegetables (2 cups sliced carrots, 2 cups trimmed and chopped green beans, 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes), but they will need to be steamed or boiled first to soften.
- You can skip the topping option if you’re short on time. It’s still delicious!
Find it online: https://www.wholekitchensink.com/chicken-pot-pie-casserole/